In our efforts to lose weight while trying to stave off starvation diet myths, it’s important to know which foods we can safely eat to help us reach our weight loss goals. These nutrition powerhouses are either low in calories, full of appetite appeasing fiber, or are natural blood sugar regulators that help you to feel satisfied and keep you from binging on more calorie-laden snickety-snacks. So when you’re doing your meal planning for the week (or 5 minutes before dinner), try incorporating these super slimming super foods into the menu and reap all their delicious and nutritious health benefits.
Lose Weight with These 10 Super Foods
1. Green Tea: While most green tea gurus promote its awesome antioxidant, anti-cancer and anti-aging properties, green tea also contains catechins, a naturally occurring phytochemical that has been found to boost metabolism and assist with weight loss.
2. Beans: This humble legume is on the weight loss super food A-team. Not only are beans packed with nutritiously filling protein and fiber, but they have also been shown to help regulate blood sugar, lower cholesterol, and promote appetite-suppressing digestive hormones that help you lose the pounds
3. Avocado: You may be surprised to see avocados make the list of weight loss foods. By offering a healthy dose of monosaturated fat, this super food may help slave off the body fat while retaining lean muscle tissue, according to the British Journal of Nutrition.
4. Yogurt: Yogurt is a great source of calcium, which researchers at the University of Knoxville found to help break down fat and reduce abdominal fat while helping to strengthen metabolism. Plain yogurt is also high in protein, which helps to build muscle and stave off hunger, making it an excellent mid-afternoon snack.
5. Greens: Green, leafy vegetables contain protein – yes, protein – fiber, vitamins, minerals, and a wealth of antioxidants. Try all types of green, leafy vegetables including spinach, Swiss chard, Romaine lettuce, mustard and collard greens, and more.
Next: Broth-based soups
10. Salmon: Wild caught salmon offers omega-3 fatty acids, important for a healthy heart and for staving off insulin resistance (among many things). Most people’s diets are low in omega-3 fatty acids, and salmon offers a great-tasting way to get those good-for-you fats.
There are plenty more super foods to help you lose weight, especially vegetables and fruits that offer great nutrition, antioxidants and fiber for very few calories. Choose a varied diet and eat foods as close to their natural state as possible for maximum “super value” from your diet. The next time you head out to the grocery store, shop the perimeter aisles where many of super foods wait, and stock up on healthy, delicious, low calorie foods to lose weight.