Cinnamon is a powerful spice when it comes to fat loss. It directly helps to control your body’s blood sugar level, and also helps to maintain a high level of insulin sensitivity; together, these two factors directly boost your body’s ability to fight fat. The best part is that cinnamon is an extremely versatile spice, and can be added to desserts, main courses, and even drinks.
2. Apples. This fruit contains pectin, a form of fiber that has some incredible fat-blasting properties. Pectin helps to slow down the emptying of your stomach, helping to satiate your appetite faster and to making you feel full longer. Apple pectin also helps to stabilize blood sugar levels, cut cholesterol, improve elimination, and has been known to inhibit colon cancer.
Apples are also packed with nutrients and are a rich source of vitamin C, beta-carotene, dietary fiber, phytosterol, flavonoids, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. As a fruit that helps to fill you up on very few calories, an apple a day is a great way to keep belly fat away.
3. Tomatoes. Tomatoes are another low calorie fruit, containing just 33 calories, as well as lots of water. Tomatoes also contain a compound called 9-oxo-octadecadienoic (9-oxo-ODA), which has been shown to reduce the amount of blood lipids and fatty acids that circulate in your body. Not only does this help with fat loss, but can also improve your overall health. Researchers also suspect that tomatoes may alter levels of appetite-regulating hormones such as ghrelin, helping us to control our hunger.
Next: Broccoli and Cauliflower
4. Broccoli and Cauliflower. Broccoli and cauliflower deserve their crowns, as kings of fiber, which helps to stabilize blood sugar, satiate hunger and keep the bowels moving. These cruciferous vegetables also require your body to do quite a lot of work in order to digest them, which means you burn up most of the calories contained in them (which isn’t very much to begin with) just by eating them!
Broccoli also has another fat-burning trick hidden up it’s stems. Current urban lifestyles expose most of us to abundant amounts of harmful chemicals known as xenoestrogens, which promote the storage of excess fat in your body and lead you to gain weight around the belly. Foods like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage help to detoxify our bodies of these harmful chemicals, thereby fighting off their harmful, fat-loading effects.
5. Nuts. You may be surprised to see that this is a belly fat burner, considering that nuts are high in calories and contain 75-90 percent fat content. However, the fat contained in most nuts is actually healthy. And nuts are also rich in protein, antioxidants, minerals and vitamins. Protein-rich foods and foods high in essential fatty acids (nuts have both!) help to fight hunger and maintain your body’s muscle mass, both of which are essential for weight loss. Also, with their micro-nutrients, nuts help your body maintain a high level of fat-burning hormones.
4. Artichokes. Artichokes are definitely an overlooked fat loss food. Providing over one third of our daily recommended fiber intake, they carry all the benefits of lowered blood sugar, cholesterol and colon cancer risks, while also helping to make us feel full and avoid overeating. Artichokes are extremely low in calories, and contain fat-burning compounds such as carnitine, which boosts fat metabolism, and also cynarin, that improves liver function and helps with weight loss.
5. Seafood: Seafood, when included in the diet, could result in a slimmer waist and better health. Salmon, for example, is high in protein and contains high levels of omega-3 essential fatty acids. These essential fatty acids stabilize your blood sugar, lower triglyceride levels, and help to regulate the appetite-suppressing hormone called leptin, thus encouraging fat loss. Seafood is also rich in vitamin D, and a recent Belgian study found a strong link between vitamin D deficiency and weight gain.
6. Oatmeal: This is a great choice for breakfast, and also a great metabolism booster. Oatmeal is a great source of energy that will last throughout the day, rating low on the glycemic index and keeping blood sugar steady.
In addition, oatmeal is high in both insoluble and soluble fiber, both of which help to control your appetite. Soluble fiber helps to bind extra unwanted fatty acids in the body and sweep them away, while insoluble fiber helps to move food through the intestines for good digestion.
7. Eggs: Eggs contain a high amount of protein in a little, compact package, helping to build metabolic tissues in your body and boosting your overall metabolism. Eggs also contain vitamin B12, which breaks down and burns fat, and eggs also do an excellent job of curbing your appetite.
A recent study fed one group of participant two eggs for breakfast every day, while feeding a second group a carbohydrate-loaded breakfast with the same number of calories. The egg eating group lost 65 percent more weight, lost more body fat and experienced higher energy levels than the other group, and their cholesterol levels did not go up.
8. Avocados: This fruit has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. It contains the amino acid lecithin, which helps in preventing liver overload, aids in memory function, and helps control weight and encourage fat loss. In addition, it balances cholesterol levels, helping to prevent heart disease.
Next: Green Tea
9. Green Tea. It contains the two ingredients that work together to form a potent metabolism-boosting, fat-burning duo: caffeine and catechins (a specific form of antioxidant). These elements are believed to stimulate the nervous system, which directly increases the metabolism and burns fat. Green tea also contains anti-inflammatory agents, which is beneficial since we know high inflammation levels are associated with obesity and being overweight.
10. Chia. These nutritious little seeds are great for fat loss, because they help stabilize blood sugar, contain lots of fiber, and improve your sensitivity to insulin. Insulin is one of your body’s main fat-storing hormones, and improving its sensitivity can reduce the amount of insulin circulating in your bloodstream, leading to fat loss. Chia is also rich in Omega-3 fats, and the seeds are filling because they contain fiber as well.